This past Saturday Beck and I went to an “eco-fabulous” fashion show and street fair up in Santa Ana. It wasn’t huge, but it was good to see people getting out and sharing their knowledge and resources.
I stopped by the Kaia House booth. They are a website with all natural and safe skin care products. They gave me a card with “The Most UN-wanted List” of synthetic chemicals to avoid in your skin care. I thought I would share them with you.
1. Petrochemicals (Coco Betaine, PVP/VA Coplymer, Propylene Glycol, Propyl Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS).)
2. Polyethylene Glycol (PEG, PPG, Cocate, Peroleate)
3. Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH) (Benzene, Benz-(a)-Pyrene, DMBA, 1-Nitropyrene)
4. Diethanolamine and Triethanolamine (with the acronyms DEA or TEA)
5. Phthalates (with the suffix phthalate, also often found in “fragrance” but not identified.)
6. Parabens (with the suffix paraben)
7. Methylchloro- and Methylisothiazoline
8. Formaldehyde (2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Dia- and Imidazolidinyl Urea, DMDM Hydantoin, Quaternium 15)
9. Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA)
10. Artificial Colors and Fragrances
Wow, that was hard to type! Now, who wants to try to pronounce all those? Who wants to rub those into their face? Your skin is amazingly efficient at absorbing. You may want to go double-check the ingredients on all those bottles and tubes in your medicine cabinet and under your bathroom sink. Don’t forget about your make-up, shaving cream, hand soap, toothpaste and mouth wash.
Shameless plug time –
My Mom (who is a very smart and lovely lady) can hook you up with safe lotions and such. She can be reached at email@example.com