We all know that Olive Oil is good for your health, but did you know how many other things it is good for? Here are a few of my favorite uses for olive oil.
– Polishing the antique chest we have in out living room that we use as a coffee table. Makes it look so much nicer, and I don’t have to worry about chemicals when Beck licks it. (Because he does lick it.)
– Removing pine sap from Beck’s hands. Works great, almost as good as him not playing with pine sap in the first place.
– Removing eye makeup. Takes off all the gook and helps fight wrinkles at the same time.
– Oiling squeaky hinges. No petroleum product needed.
– Relieving ear congestion. Put a few drops in a clogged up ear, lay down on your side to let it soak in for a few minutes, then roll over onto a towel to let the oil drain out.
– All over body moisturizer when I am feeling especially dry. (Can get messy, be careful.)
– Smoothies. I make Beck a smoothie in the morning with rice milk, half a banana, rice protein, baby cereal flakes and olive oil. Being a dairy, soy and egg allergic picky eater he doesn’t get much food in himself some days besides O cereal. This way I know he is getting the nutrients and healthy fat he needs. He loves it.
And of course, Salad Dressing. Here is a recipe for a dressing I make when I am feeling fancy. Otherwise we just drizzle on olive oil and balsamic.
Teresa’s Salad Dressing
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 minced Shallot
Dollop of Dijon Mustard
Typically the rule of thumb is 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar, but experiment and see what tastes best to you. You could also make this in a blender, then you don’t even have to chop the shallot, the blender will do it for you.
Have a great day!